Bright minds and creative thinkers from the global research community have the opportunity to test their skills with their peers in a worldwide competition organised by Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) – the FAU Open Research Challenge. From 1st of October 2020 to 1st of February 2021, teams of up to five researchers can tackle one of two questions at the forefront of big data research.
We're looking forward to your participating in this exciting project! To make sure that everybody's got the same chances and the challenge runs smoothly, it will be necessary for all participants to stick to the rules of the game as stated below.
How to participate?
All participants must register individually on the web platform.
- Participants can choose to join the FAU Open Research Challenge individually or as groups of between two and four members.
- If participants join the competition in a team, at least one team member has to be non-German or affiliated with a Non-German university.
- The FAU Open research challenge is designed for graduate researchers, preferably doctoral level or above.
- Participants must not currently be enrolled or working at FAU. However, teams with one or more members currently affiliated with FAU can participate in the challenges out of competition and receive feedback on their proposals.
Challenges and Judging
- The tasks and specific requirements for the proposal (form and content) can be found in the respective challenge description.
- The proposals have to be submitted by the end date via the platform. Details for the submission procedure will be posted on the platform.
- Participants must not enter more than one proposal to the challenge or they may be disqualified.
- The proposals will be judged by members of the FAU work groups running the challenges and their partners.
- In addition to the submitted proposals, participants’ activity on the platform, e.g. high quality contributions to discussions, will contribute to the team rankings, especially if the proposals are otherwise ranked closely together.
- The teams with the best submission for each challenge will be invited to an all-expenses paid one-week workshop to Erlangen in order to present their concept and to meet the local researchers.
- In case that travelling will not be possible due to COVID-19 restrictions, your team will be awarded with 2,500 €, but of course, we hope that it will be possible to welcome to here at FAU soon.
Frequently asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Can we form a team without any German members and participate in the challenge?
A: Of course you can form teams without any German member! This challenge is designed for young international researchers around the world. The participation of German researchers is allowed, but they have to team up with international partners.